A few weeks ago, I wrote up the Starfrit Eco-Chef frying pan for its green qualities on paper. It has all the hallmarks of a great green product, using recycled, sustainable and non-toxic materials in its construction. The folks at Starfrit took notice and sent me one of their pans to review.
Having used lots of non-stick pans over the years, I have to say I am really impressed by this one. The pan has a nice weight, so it doesn’t feel flimsy or like it will become warped after a few uses. It is very sturdy, and larger than I expected at 26 cm. To put the size in perspective, I used it to make homemade french fries a few nights ago. In my regular frying pan, I usually have to cook the fries in 3-4 batches. In the Eco-Chef pan, I was able to finish in just 2 batches.
The Ceram-Eco non-stick surface is very smooth and easy to clean, needing little more than a good rinse to remove any food remnants. The packaging does recommend hand-washing, but I rarely put my good pots in the dishwasher anyway. I’ve been washing it with a soft sponge, and it has held up really well after about 5 uses. What’s great about this surface is that unlike traditional non-stick surfaces which contain potentially toxic chemicals, this coating is made of natural ceramic powder and contains no PTFE or other chemicals. The bamboo handle is also very sturdy. I was a little worried about how it would stand up to getting wet, but there were no problems.
I give the Eco-Chef frying pan an A+, both for performance and sustainability. So if you’re trying to eat a healthier, more organic diet, the Eco-Chef pan is an affordable way to carry the greening over to your cookware.
Why It’s Green:
- Body made of 99% recycled aluminum
- Coated with chemical-free ceramic powder
- Handle made of bamboo
Price: $31.55 (aff)
Want to win one?
The folks at Starfrit sent me a second 26cm Eco-Chef pan to give away to one of my readers. You could be cooking in green style before you know it! Simply visit Starfrit, then come back here and leave a comment about your favorite product or products by 11:59 p.m. EST on Wednesday, October 8, 2008.
Want to enter more than once? Boost your chances of winning by completing one or more of the tasks on this list. Please leave a separate comment for each entry:
- If you haven’t already, sign up for Green Your Decor’s email updates by 11:59 p.m. EST on Wednesday, October 8, 2008. You must verify your email subscription to be eligible. After you sign up, FeedBurner will send you a verification email. Please do not ignore it — your entry will be invalid if you do not verify. All current subscribers are eligible to win. And there’s no need to leave a comment letting me know you subscribe by email. I’ll know you’re a subscriber
- If you’d prefer to receive your updates via RSS, sign up for the GYD feed. Then please leave a comment letting me know that you’ve done so, and be sure to include your email address. RSS subscribers are anonymous otherwise.
- Blog about GreenYourDecor.com and post a link to your blog entry here.
- Stumble or give a thumbs up to any page at GreenYourDecor.com via StumbleUpon and post a link to your SU profile to verify your thumbs up.
- Fave Green Your Decor on Technorati. Then come back here and leave a comment with your Technorati user name so I can verify it.
So that means every participant can receive up to 6 entries. You have until 11:59 p.m. EST on Wednesday, October 8, 2008, to enter. U.S. & Canada mailing addresses only. A winner will be chosen via Random.org and contacted via email. Good luck everyone!