I am a vocal lover of FLOR’s eco-friendly carpet squares, not only because of their green merits, but because their designs are straight up gorgeous. I’m still in love with the gorgeous blue and white ikat rug in our dining room, which is made up of FLOR squares and has held up to kids, an (albeit small) dog and spills better than I ever could have imagined.
The new designs in their fall collection have given me a reason to fall in love all over again. Here are some of my favorites:
This bold, geometric design would be a statement-maker in any room. It is available in black and white, as well as four other colors that I can imagine fitting seamlessly into my own home. Blues and grays make me happy, and they’re great anchor colors. This style features a random pattern that varies from square to square, so there’s no guarantee the pattern will always line up. However, I think that’s part of the charm of these squares. They’re clean, but not perfect. And even better, Jim Dandy is made of 100% recycled face fibers.
PRICE: $15.00/square ($5.58 /sq ft)
What can I say? I really like bold, geometric patterns, and the color of this one has me swooning! I genuinely wish I could use it in the shared nursery instead of the chevron rug I’m planning, but unfortunately, FLOR carpet squares cannot be installed over carpeting or other soft flooring. I learned this the hard way a few years back. If you try, the carpet squares will separate as soon as you start to walk on them. Though now that I think about it, I wonder if it could be installed on a piece of plywood that I could then place on top of the carpet… Things that make you go “hmmmm.” Anyway, it is made of 49% total recycled content and is available in stunning array of 15 colors, so you’re bound to find one that works for you.
PRICE: $15.00/square ($5.58 /sq ft)
Call me crazy, but I really love this! I envision this cowhide-inspired rug in a very mid-century modern or super contemporary room, with otherwise minimal furnishings. But honestly, the bold two-color design could work in other ways too. Again the pattern is random — and what is nature if not random. The squares are made of 100% recycled face fibers, and it’s available in brown, tan, gray and black.
PRICE: $17.00/square ($6.32/sq ft)
If you’re looking for something monochromatic that still has some texture, you’ll love Chenille Charade. The mostly solid colors feature a deep textured pattern that I imagine feels amazing underfoot. It has a real vintage appeal — like the kind of thing you’d see in your grandmother’s house, but better. Like most other FLOR rugs, the pattern is random from square to square, but it will be less noticeable than some of the more geometric options. This one is designed to withstand heavy foot traffic as well, so it would make a great living room or entry rug. It is made of 100% recycled face fibers and comes in 10 colors.
PRICE: $21.00/square ($7.81/sq ft)
These are just a few of the new designs. Feel free to check out the others.
In case you’re wondering why I’m so enamored with FLOR in the first place, and why I keep going back to them, it’s simple: They are genuinely committed to sustainability.
- Every single carpet square is made with renewable and recycled content, and their manufacturing processes use renewable energy sources and technology that helps them reduce emissions and waste.
- On top of that, if a carpet squares is finally stained or damaged beyond repair, you can replace individual squares rather than a whole rug or whole room of carpet, which means less waste for the consumer as well.
- The squares are produced locally (to me) in Georgia, but that still means made in the U.S. even if you’re not here in the state. That means huge reductions in transportation costs and emission, which reduces the company’s overall environmental impact.
- FLOR has a Return & Recycle Program via which you can return your old carpet squares to be recycled into new ones.
- Most FLOR styles meet or exceed the Carpet and Rug Institute’s Green Label Plus standards for low VOCs, so they won’t have a negative impact on your indoor air quality.
If you still need a reason to believe, you can learn more about their sustainability efforts.
Lastly, I love the fact that you can very specifically customize a rug to the size and shape of your room and buy exactly how many you need to create a perfectly sized piece. FLOR’s website offers a rug planner to help you get it down to a science before you order.
Let’s just say I’m a FLOR fangirl, and I probably always will be.