I’ve always loved the look and idea of a bamboo rug, but I’ve always been cautious about whether it would be practical in an active home environment and whether it would be comfortable to walk on. I’m not talking about bamboo that has been chemically processed down to a soft, cushy fiber, but rugs made of bamboo slats that are much closer to their natural state. Thanks to BambooandTikis.com, I got a chance to test out whether this type of rug is really practical, and whether it would really work with my decor or make it look like a sad attempt at an Asian theme.
I’m happy to report that I had no problems integrating the rug with the rest of my decor. In fact, it is so neutral that I could literally put it in any room and it would be happily at home there. For now, it resides in my bedroom, partially to add style to our somewhat boring space, but also to hide some stains on the carpet underneath it. That’s what I call working double time While the rug does add a distinctly Asian flair to our room, it does so with subtlety, so it doesn’t reek of a themed design.
And in terms of comfort, I love it. It makes me feel like, just for a few steps, I’m living with a beautiful bamboo floor instead of a dingy old carpet that needs to be torn out. So until we’re able to replace all the carpet with luxurious bamboo or sustainable hardwood flooring, I wouldn’t mind having a couple more of these around to give me the same sense of luxury without the price.
Why It’s Green:
- Made of 100% organic Moso bamboo. (Note: Bamboo naturally grows without pesticides, but as the material becomes more popular, many growers are beginning to use pesticides to increase profitability. These rugs use organic bamboo that is allowed to reach maturity before it is harvested)
WANT TO WIN?
One reader has a chance to win their own 36″ x 48″ (or 3′ x 4′) bamboo rug. So how do you win? Visit BambooandTikis.com, then come back here and leave a comment about something you liked or learned. It could be a product or something you learned about the company. Do this by 11:59 p.m. EST on Friday, June 5, 2009, to enter.
Want to enter more than once? Boost your chances of winning by completing one or more of the tasks on this list. Please leave a separate comment for each entry:
- If you haven’t already, sign up for Green Your Decor’s email updates by 11:59 p.m. EST on Friday, June 5, 2009. You must verify your email subscription to be eligible. After you sign up, FeedBurner will send you a verification email. Please do not ignore it — your entry will be invalid if you do not verify. From now on, subscribers will no longer be entered automatically. This will help me avoid choosing a winner who is a subscriber, but who doesn’t necessarily want a specific prize. If you are an email subscriber and you want to be entered, please leave a comment saying that you are an email subscriber and interested in this giveaway. Subscribers will not be entered automatically. You must leave a comment saying that you are a subscriber in order to enter.
- If you’d prefer to receive your updates via RSS, sign up for the GYD feed. Then please leave a comment letting me know that you’ve done so, and be sure to include your email address. RSS subscribers are anonymous otherwise. This will let me know that you want to be entered in this giveaway.
- Blog about GreenYourDecor.com and post a link to your blog entry here.
- Stumble or give a thumbs up to any page at GreenYourDecor.com via StumbleUpon and post a link to your SU profile to verify your thumbs up.
- Fave Green Your Decor on Technorati. Then come back here and leave a comment with your Technorati user name so I can verify it.
- Follow Green Your Decor on Twitter. Then tweet about GYD or this giveaway and leave a comment with a link to your tweet.
You have until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, June 5, 2009, to enter. U.S. mailing addresses only! A winner will be chosen via Random.org and contacted via email. Good luck everyone!