If there is any book you want to give your child to teach them about environmentalism, The Lorax is it. It’s a classic Dr. Seuss tale about a company swooping in to take what they want they want with no concern for the environment around them, and the people and animals they affect. Wall-E is a similar tale, in movie form. It’s about what, realistically, could happen to the Earth in future generations if we do not begin to take care of it today. The planet could turn into a giant trash heap, with people forced to live on giant space ships.
By no means is this a new movie, but it’s a powerful one. Here’s the trailer:
And I don’t want to ruin The Lorax for if you’ve never read it, but here’s an excerpt:
I meant no harm. I most truly did not.
But I had to grow bigger. So bigger I got.
I biggered my factory. I biggered my roads.
I biggered my wagons. I biggered the loads
of the Thneeds I shipped out. I was shipping them forth
to the South! To the East! To the West! To the North!
I went right on biggering… selling more Thneeds.
And I biggered my money, which everyone needs.
Then again he came back! I was fixing some pipes
when that old-nuisance Lorax came back with more gripes.
“I am the Lorax,” he coughed and he whiffed.
He sneezed and he snuffled. He snarggled. He sniffed.
“Once-ler!” he cried with a cruffulous croak.
“Once-ler! You’re making such smogulous smoke!
My poor Swomee-Swans… why, they can’t sing a note!
No one can sing who has smog in his throat.
How to Win:
I love these stories, and so does my daughter. So I’m doing this giveaway from my own pocket. One reader will receive a copy of Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax AND Wall-E on DVD, and a second winner will receive just The Lorax.
There are several ways to enter:
MANDATORY ENTRY: Leave a comment telling me what you are doing to teach your children to respect the Earth, or, if you are not a parent, to make the Earth a better place for future generations. (NOTE: None of your other entries will count if you don’t do this first)
- Like Green Your Decor on Facebook and leave a comment on my wall. Then come back here and leave a comment with your Facebook name.
- Follow @greenyourdecor on Twitter. Then come back here and leave a comment letting me know with your Twitter user name.
- If you haven’t already, sign up for Green Your Decor’s email updates by 11:59 p.m. EST on Monday, December 13, 2010. You must verify your email subscription to be eligible. Current subscribers must leave a comment saying that you are a subscriber to be entered.
- If you’d prefer to receive your updates via RSS, sign up for the GYD feed. Then please leave a comment letting me know that you’ve done so, and be sure to include your email address. RSS-only subscribers are anonymous otherwise.
You have up to 5 chances to enter, and the giveaway entry period ends at 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 (MY BIRTHDAY!). U.S. mailing addresses only! A winner will be chosen via Random.org and contacted via email. Good luck everyone!
Other Current Green Gift Giveaways:
- Personal care prize package from Nostalgia Organics (soap, lotion & more!). Ends 12/10/10.
- Organic cotton EcoArt throw pillow from Wabisabi Green. Ends 12/13/10
- Environmental Tales: Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax and Disney’s Wall E on DVD. Ends 12/14/10.
- Recycled paper Doodle List journal from Gadanke. Ends 12/15/10.