Today, Green Your Decor has a guest post from a woman who I consider to be one of my eco-design heroes (or heroines), Kelly LaPlante. She is a leading eco-designer who has been demonstrating for nearly 10 years that “green” can be the rule, rather than the exception. Her showroom in Venice Beach, CA features vintage, antique and sustainable-new furnishings including LaPlante’s line of soy candles and her new studio collection, jak. She is currently appearing as an expert on TV shows including Discovery Home Channel’s “Greenovate” and Sundance Channel’s “Big Ideas for a Small Planet.” LaPlante’s first book, écologique, was released on July 1st to amazing reviews, and a giveaway of the book is included below, so keep reading!
Amazing how the world of green design has grown, isn’t it? Ten years ago when I started my company there just were not very many sustainable materials that were also sleek and sexy. Quite frankly, there were next-to-none, and the word “granola” came to mind more than a few times when I would go out searching for something green.
So I suppose it was a sign of the times that I ended up catering my business toward helping people to re-use what they already had. In this way, I could not only help my clients save money, I could also help save their old furnishings from ending up in landfill and keep them from purchasing new pieces which required new materials and production as well as packaging and shipping.
It was a great lesson. Not having new sustainable materials to work with made me see how very important (and how very simple!) it is just to re-use. Today there are so many fantastic options for eco-friendly design — gorgeous sustainable fabrics, FSC certified woods, non-toxic finishes — the world is your eco-oyster! Even still, after my clients and I decide on a style, re-use is always our first step toward a sustainable design — whether I am just helping a someone with a bedroom makeover or designing a Lexus Hybrid Living suite at a Fairmont Hotel. You would be amazed at how much can be re-purposed — and it is so much fun to see an old piece get a new life with a fresh coat of low-VOC paint or a new cushion upholstered in a fun organic cotton printed fabric.
With re-use as the first step and gorgeous green materials to carry the designs to completion, we are able to achieve everything from Victorian to ultra-modern!
Readers of Green Your Decor probably already know that green is a standard, not a style. But believe it or not, there are still a lot of people who think that green is just another look. To help them see their way out of that haze, I wrote the book écologique, which features 17 very different styles — all of them green. The featured projects are in the homes and work spaces of actors, politicians, writers and other extraordinary people. Each had their own unique reasons for wanting to go green and each had their own sense of style. I had a great time working on these projects and I am in hopes that the book will now encourage others to find their own sustainable style!
And the best part — 100% of net proceeds benefit Global Green USA and The Blank Theatre Company in Hollywood (we’re helping to green the arts, now, too!) So if you’re not the lucky winner of the giveaway below, you can purchase your own copy of écologique. It’s for a good cause!
Keep on reading Jennae’s blog and keep on seeking sustainable style!
WANT TO WIN THE BOOK?
Kelly has graciously offered up an autographed copy of écologique for one lucky reader of Green Your Decor to take home. There are several ways to enter:
- If you haven’t already, sign up for Green Your Decor email newsletter, sign up for the Green Your Decor newsletter by Monday, August 18, 2008. You must verify your email subscription to be eligible. After you sign up, FeedBurner will send you a verification email. Please do not ignore it — your entry will be invalid if you do not verify. All current subscribers are eligible to win.
- If you’d prefer to receive your updates via RSS, sign up for the GYD feed, then leave a comment letting me know that you’ve done so. Be sure to include your email address.
- Leave a comment about what you’re doing, or would like to do, in your home, to incorporate sustainable style. Comments like “I’d love to win this,” “Great giveaway” or “Pick me! Pick me!” will be deleted. Please stick to the topic.
- Blog about GreenYourDecor.com and post a link to your blog entry here.
- Stumble or give a thumbs up to any page at GreenYourDecor.com via StumbleUpon and post a link to your SU profile to verify your thumbs up.
Every participant can receive up to 4 entries. You have until 11:59 p.m. EST on Monday, August 18, 2008, to enter. U.S. and Canada mailing addresses only. A winner will be chosen via Random.org and announced here on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 at noon. Good luck everyone!