Every year on Earth Day, I debate whether I should write a post. After all, this site is dedicated to all things green 365 days a year. Still, I wanted to acknowledge that if you’re one of many who have never really thought about their impact on the planet, today is a great day to start.
So what am I doing today? To be honest, the same thing I was doing yesterday.
- When I go to the grocery store, I’ll take my reusable shopping bags and be selective about the food I buy.
- I’ll think twice about whether I really NEED to drive somewhere, or whether I can walk or combine the errand into another trip.
- I’ll tell my daughter she can’t use the “regular” lotion because I don’t know what’s in it and give her pure coconut oil to use instead.
- When my extended family gets together, my husband and I will collect all the recyclable bottles, cans, etc. instead of throwing them all in the trash. And we’ll do our best to encourage them to use reusable materials instead of disposable ones (and that tends to be an uphill battle).
- Before I buy anything, I’ll stop to think about whether I really need it. This will help save the planet, but it will also stop me from blowing a hole in my wallet with unnecessary spending.
- I’ll try to make things I want myself rather than buying them.
- I’ll have lots of fun trying to find used treasures at local thrift stores and on Craigslist instead of buying new.
And I’ll keep doing other simple, nondescript things like that. In other words, I’ll lead by example, and hope that all the things that have become a part of my every day living will inspire others around me to make similar changes — or at least to be curious enough to ask about it.
I will try to educate people about why green living isn’t just for hippies and why its something we all should care about. And I hope you will do the same.