You know the “3 Rs” mantra: reduce, reuse, recycle. Well, if artist Dolan Geiman had his way, there would probably be a fourth R: rescue. Geiman salvages wood and found objects and puts them together to create beautiful, eclectic works of art. These constructions often feature animals, and the paint used to create them comes from the Chicago Paint Exchange Program, which helps give traditional, but unwanted, paint a home.
In other words, you won’t find these at your local TJ Maxx or IKEA.
Normally, I’m not a big fan of the rustic feel of weathered wood. But something about these pieces makes me sing a new tune. They are funky, colorful and full of character and life, and those are the types of pieces I want in my own home. Pieces that jump off the wall and speak to me. Geiman’s art definitely qualifies.
With Dolan Geiman’s artwork, Green Your Decor is also introducing a new feature in honor of the holiday shopping season. Notice that “G3” icon on the artwork above? G3 stands for “Great Green Gift”. I will use this icon to indicate products that would make great holiday gifts, and I have created a new category for them. And if you want to learn more about Dolan Geiman the person and see his studio and workspace, check out Design Sponge’s sneak peek.
BONUS SAVINGS: Through Dec. 20, all orders from Dolan Geiman’s etsy shop that are over $100 include a free gift. During this time, you can also get free shipping on orders over $250 with coupon code “GREENYOURDECOR.”
Why It’s Green:
- Handmade from salvaged wood and found objects
- Finished with recycled paint and water-based textile inks
Want to win one?
Dolan Geiman generously offered up one of his rescued art constructions for one lucky reader of Green Your Decor. This Songbird Rescued Wood Construction valued at $315 is a piece after my own heart, featuring the bird motif that my regular readers will know I love so much. The “G4” icon stands for “Great Green Gift Giveaway” — that’s a mouthfull. Consider it an early Christmas present for yourself. To win, visit Dolan Geiman’s site or etsy shop and leave a comment here about something that you liked or learned. Do this by 11:59 p.m. EST on Friday, November 21, 2008 to enter.
Want to enter more than once? Boost your chances of winning by completing one or more of the tasks on this list. Please leave a separate comment for each entry:
- If you haven’t already, sign up for Green Your Decor’s email updates by 11:59 p.m. EST on Friday, November 21, 2008. You must verify your email subscription to be eligible. After you sign up, FeedBurner will send you a verification email. Please do not ignore it — your entry will be invalid if you do not verify. All current subscribers are eligible to win. And there’s no need to leave a comment letting me know you subscribe by email. I’ll know you’re a subscriber
- If you’d prefer to receive your updates via RSS, sign up for the GYD feed. Then please leave a comment letting me know that you’ve done so, and be sure to include your email address. RSS subscribers are anonymous otherwise.
- Blog about GreenYourDecor.com and post a link to your blog entry here.
- Stumble or give a thumbs up to any page at GreenYourDecor.com via StumbleUpon and post a link to your SU profile to verify your thumbs up.
- Fave Green Your Decor on Technorati. Then come back here and leave a comment with your Technorati user name so I can verify it.
So that means every participant can receive up to 6 entries. You have until 11:59 p.m. EST on Friday, November 21, 2008, to enter. Two winners will be chosen via Random.org and contacted via email. Good luck everyone!