After writing about eco-friendly decor and furnishings for two years, I’ve begun to notice a trend. I tend to see the same brands over and over again as I search for new companies and products to profile. I love that green living has become so accepted that these truly green products can be found everywhere, but I also love variety. It’s not every day that I come across a brand new maker of environmentally friendly furniture, so when I do, I take notice. You can see why from the photos.
Pure Inspired Design is the brainchild of interior designer Samantha Cobos, and clearly, making these pieces was a labor of love. First, these are stylish, timeless, high-quality pieces. I’m personally swooning over the Carmel chair in the image above (top right). It is the kind of piece I can easily imagine still having in my home 50 years from now, or living happily in my daughter’s stylish first apartment. And above all else, when buying furniture for your home, the key to buying green is buying pieces that will last.
Of course, all of the pieces in the Pure Inspired Design collection go quite a few steps further toward being eco-friendly, which you can see in the “Why It’s Green” list below. And what I love about this collection is that pretty much everything can be customized. For most pieces, including standard sofas, sectionals, chairs and ottomans, customers can select their cushion, leg finish and arm style, as well as choose from a huge range of solid and patterned organic fabrics. You can also have custom pillows, drapes and rugs made to coordinate with the furniture. Even if you’re not comfortable enough with design to select coordinating fabrics, you can purchase a scheme kit like the ones shown below, which will take all the guesswork out of finding options that work well together.
Seriously, Samantha put a lot of thought into this line, and consumers like myself really appreciate that kind of dedication. And on the real, that Carmel chair is going in my “dream home” folder. I will have it. One day.
Why It’s Green:
- Frames made of solid hardwood harvested locally and responsibly
- Seating made of 8-way hand tied made with recycled metal
- Webbing made of recycled polyester and natural materials
- Padding made of 100% pure unbleached cotton and recycled Dacron
- Standard cushion made of high quality soy-based foam core wrapped in down and feathers. The upgraded spring & down cushion is made of high quality soy-based foam core with inner springs, which is then wrapped in down and feathers.
- Back and throw pillows made of a down blend with soy-based filling
- All adhesives and stains are water-based with no formaldehyde
- All scraps are recycled
- Available fabrics include organic cotton solids and prints, OEKO Tex Standard 100 polyester, and faux leather (synthetic polyurethane, which is not great for indoor air quality, but an option if you want a vegan leather substitute)