Today’s room: A dream living room with a price tag that is the stuff of dreams for most decorators. I know that this living room isn’t practical or affordable. But it does demonstrate that going green doesn’t mean giving up even a shred of luxury. You can achieve an ultra-chic room without sacrificing your green goals.
- Lotus Flower Chandelier from Viva Terra, large | $649 | Handmade from natural, renewable capiz shells and compatible with energy efficient compact fluorescent light bulbs
- Ellipsis Lamp from the Camisole collection by LightenUp Designs | $600 | Made of natural clay, and nontoxic, handmade paints and glazes and uses an LED light bulb
- Jay Bird Round Table by Stray Dog Designs, Bahaman Sea Blue | $450 | Handmade by Haitian artisans of eco-friendly papier mache with low-VOC paints
- Damask Duck Egg Linen Pillow by Thomas Paul | $100/ea., $300 for 3 | Made of 100% linen, hand silk-screened and hand-woven.
- Water Senna Lounge Chair from PURE by Ami McKay | $3000 | Biodegradable latex rubber, FSC certified hardwood frames, non-toxic adhesives, Jute and latex webbing, organic cotton batting, OEKO-tex certified fabrics, non-toxic wood finishes
- Bamboo + Linen Blend Drapes from Drape Style | $345/ea. panel; $690 for 2 | Mojave Angelus fabric, 90″, Grommet Top | Made in the U.S. of a blend of bamboo, cotton and linen
- Wall Slant Shelf by Modern Slant | $350 | Made of bamboo ply
- Funky Faux Bois Mirror by Stray Dog Designs, white | $410 | Handmade by Haitian artisans of eco-friendly papier mache with low-VOC paints, and a portion of the proceeds from every purchase is donated directly to organizations that feed hungry children, shelter homeless families and create loving homes for stray dogs and cats
- FreshAire Choice paint | COLOR: Dew Point FA017 | $38/gallon, $76 for 2 | Zero VOCs in the paint or colorant, label is made of 75% recycled fiber and printed with soy ink, and paint cans made of recycled materials and recyclable
- Fracture Series Art by Campbell Laird, Limited Edition, 40″ x 72″ | $850 | Laird is one of the pioneers of water-based pigment ink printing. No solvents of any kind are used from the ink to the final varnish finish in a process that is completely eco friendly
- Tuxedo Sectional by R.C. Green | $6050 | FSC certified wood frame, recycled steel hardware, non-toxic, water-based finish and adhesives, natural latex cushions in organic wool wrap, all natural upholstery options
- Amenity Trail Pillows, Cream & Silver Euro Square, 26 x 26 | $125 | Organic cotton/hemp outer cover, with two choices of inserts covered in an organic cotton shell: Eco-Fill insert made of fibers from recycled plastic bottles or a kapok insert made of fibers from seed pods of the kapok tree. Kapok is a sustainable, pesticide-free and hypoallergenic product.
- Orange 22 Botanist Flow Cocktail Table, white | $1499 | Made of a single piece of aluminun to minimize waste, powder-coated, zero-VOC finish, recyclable
- Flock Flatweave Dhurrie Rug by Thomas Paul, 8 x 11 | $814 | Made of 100% New Zealand Wool
TOTAL: $15,997.99. Stop screaming now…seriously 🙂
Ceramic Bamboo Vase from Gaiam | $9.99 | Handmade by Vietnamese artisans as a form of sustainable income, Fair Trade, made of ceramic and woven bamboo | I didn’t include a “splurge” in this room because…lets face it…the whole room is one big splurge. But I did include a “bargain”…the one item in the room that is a LOT less expensive than you’d expect, yet doesn’t sacrifice style or quality. This handmade ceramic vase is all style and sophistication, and it fits in with all the high-priced items in the room with no problem.
Any tips or suggestions for what could have been included, or excluded, in this room? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
And if you are a new subscriber, you may want to consider subscribing to Green Your Decor via RSS or email newsletter to make sure you don’t miss the other great rooms in the “Green Rooms in a Box” series! Coming next week: Green dining rooms under $2500, under $5000 and over $5000. Thanks for reading!
MORE GREEN ROOMS IN A BOX:
- Eclectic, Eco-Chic Living Room Under $2500
- Contemporary Living Room Under $5000
- An Elegant, Lively Dining Room Under $2500
- Vintage Mod Dining Room Under $5000
- Posh Dining Room for the Super Spendy
- Fresh, Colorful Bedroom Under $2500
- Graphic, Nature-Inspired Bedroom Under $5000
- A Vibrant, Luxurious Bedroom on a Dream Budget
- A Fun, Funky Girl’s Bedroom Under $2500
- A Bedroom Fit for Two Boys Under $5000
- A Room for a Teen Queen Under $6500
- A Modern, Stimulating Boy’s Nursery Under $2500
- A Sassy (not pink) Girl’s Nursery Under $5000
MelisaJuly 19, 2008 at 12:33 am
Love this! You are very talented. I found you through your comment on our site. If you ever come up with a “green nursery in a box” we’d love to see it and feature you!!!
Melisas last blog post..Giveaway: What’s in a Name?