Today’s Room: An eco-friendly nursery for those parents who’d like to keep their baby’s sex a secret or who don’t care for the traditional girl/boy colors.
WRITER’S NOTE: Today is the scheduled end of the 5-week Green Rooms in a Box series. But because of the great response from readers and because I had so much fun designing these rooms, I plan on making it a weekly or bi-weekly feature on Wednesdays. I will make it interactive, allowing you, my wonderful readers, to vote for what room and budget you want me to do in the week prior to the feature. So don’t fret! Green Rooms in a Box aren’t going away forever!
- Buds Pendant Lamp by Paper Cloud, orange on beige, large | $184 | Lampshades are hand printed on 100% linen and backed with paper. Use with a compact fluorescent light to maximize energy efficiency (aff)
- Camber Mobile by Adrift Mobiles | $168 | Made of walnut veneer to reduce waste and wood usage and finished with a blend of beeswax, carnauba wax and orange oil (aff) | Rather than hanging this over the crib, I would hang it as an art piece in front of the wall opposite the crib
- Mythic Interior Flat Latex Paint | $46.99/gallon, $187.96 for 4 | COLOR: Sunset Dream 088-3 (yellow), Dark Roast 199-6 (brown) | Zero VOCs, zero carcinogens, and low odor | The main wall color will be yellow. Paint the grass graphic shown along the bottom of the whole wall behind the crib in brown, with the wooden letters hung above it.
- Solare Changing Dresser by Q Collection Junior | $1450 | Constructed of locally sourced solid ash and 100% recycled, no formaldehyde added MDF, drawers have Tagua nut pulls, which are hand-carved and a renewable resource, and finished with a non-toxic, low VOC, water based finish. Q Collection also is a member of 1% for the Planet, which donates a percentage of sales to an alliance of environmental organizations worldwide, so this applies for all Q Collection furniture.
- Solare Armoire Base and Bookshelf by Q Collection Junior | Base, $940; Bookshelf, $880 | Constructed with FSC-certified wood that is locally-sourced from responsibly managed forests, formaldehyde-free glues, and low-VOC paints and finishes (aff)
- Lions, Tigers & Kitties…. Oh My! and Stalk of Wheat Pillows by Pixel Organics | $36/ea.; $72 for 2 | Made of 100% certified organic cotton sateen with 100% recycled REFILL polyester fill and emits emits zero VOCs (aff)
- Eddy Rocker by ducduc | $1350 | Made in the U.S. of sustainably harvested hardwood from regional forests with non-toxic paints and finishes
- Celestian Floor Lamp | $255.85 | Made in part with post-consumer recycled steel and uses energy-efficient compact fluorescent light bulbs
- Organic Cotton Happy Lion Doll | $14 | Made of 100% organic cotton inside and out, and dyed with metal free dyes (aff)
- Solare Crib by Q Collection Junior | $1220 | Constructed with FSC-certified wood that is locally-sourced from responsibly managed forests, formaldehyde-free glues, and low-VOC paints and finishes (aff)
- Lions, Tigers and Kitties… Oh My! Crib Bedding Set by Pixel Organics | $389.99 | Made in the U.S. of 100% certified organic cotton sateen and printed with a low-impact, water-based process approved by the Organic Trade Association. Quilt and bumper are filled with Eco-Spun 100% Regenerated REFILL Polyester Fill (recycled PET plastic bottles) and the entire set emits zero VOCs. (aff)
- Coco Stylewood Baby Lounger by Bloom, natural | $200 | Uses white birch from certified sustainable wood forests and is lead-free, BPA-free, Phthalate-free, PVC-free, Heavy metal-free and AZO dye free (aff)
- Coffee Bean Bamboo Super Shag Rug from Anji Mountain Bamboo Rug Co., 5′ x 8′ | $399 | Made of 80% Bamboo and 20% Cotton and packaged in a reusable carrying case
TOTAL: $7710.80 | A larger budget because I splurged on furniture, but not impossible to conceive if you’re starting from scratch and if you can afford it.
Recycled Wood Letters from Anthropologie | $9.95/ea., for $179.10 for 18 | Made of wood salvaged from out-of-use railroad tracks | At just about $10 apiece, these letters are an inexpensive way to create a unique focal point. I would spell out “LIONS TIGERS KITTIES” (to coincide with the bedding) and stagger the words on the walls, but you can do as many (or as few) letters as you’d like.
Any tips or suggestions for what could have been included, or excluded, in this room? Send them to email@example.com
And if you are a new reader, you may want to consider subscribing to Green Your Decor via RSS or email newsletter to make sure you don’t miss the more great rooms in the continuing “Green Rooms in a Box” series! It will become a weekly or bi-weekly feature in the near future. Thanks for reading!
MORE GREEN ROOMS IN A BOX:
- Eclectic, Eco-Chic Living Room Under $2500
- Contemporary Living Room Under $5000
- High-Priced, Celeb-Style Living Room Over $5000
- Simple, Classy Dining Room Under $2500
- Vintage Mod Dining Room Under $5000
- Posh Dining Room for the Super-Spendy
- A Minimal, Soothing Bedroom Under $2500
- Graphic, Nature-Inspired Bedroom Under $5000
- Vibrant, Luxurious Bedroom on a Dream Budget
- A Fun, Funky Girl’s Bedroom Under $2500
- A Bedroom Fit for Two Boys Under $5000
- A Room for a Teen Queen Under $6500
- A Modern, Stimulating Boy’s Nursery Under $2500
- A Sassy Girl’s Nursery Under $5000